Monday, May 23, 2011

Mmmmmm Monday featuring Macaroni Salad

It's time to feature my first recipe on the blog :)  Since picnic and grilling season is here, I thought I'd give you one of my "go to" salad recipes-- Macaroni Salad. 

According to my Mom, this recipe can be traced back to Aunt Verona.  I basically use their same recipe with the addition of green peppers :)  People love this salad and it is one of my most requested recipes. 

This makes a fair sized salad and keeps for about 2-3 days. 

Macaroni Salad

Salad Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups of macaroni (rotini, medium shells, etc..)
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1-2 cucumbers, seeded and diced
  • 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped 
  • 3-4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 1 green pepper, finely chopped
Dressing Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups of Miracle Whip or salad dressing
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup of milk (or a little less)
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1 tsp. prepared mustard
Directions: 
Boil pasta shells with 2 teaspoons of salt. Cook it al dente (according to package directions), drain, rinse with cold water and chill.

Add cucumbers, onion , tomatoes, and green pepper.

Toss with dressing and chill at least 2 hours before serving. 

3 comments:

  1. this looks delicious!
    only thing is I would use Mayo ;)
    just not a miracle whip person...

    p.s.
    LOVE that you have a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Becky! Fun to see you in blogland! Hope you have a wonderful week!
    Blessings
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mal-- I've never substituted Mayo for Miracle Whip....so I'm not sure how it will taste. The Miracle Whip gives it a tangy flavor :) So, let me know the results if you do try it with Mayo.

    Julie-- Thanks! You are part of my inspiration to start a blog :) Hope you guys are well. Maybe we'll be able to catch up when WWW opens.

    ReplyDelete