Monday, October 17, 2011

"e" Button Monogram Tutorial


Last weekend was definitely one of the highlights of the year for me....not only did I get to plan Mom and Dad's retirement celebration/ribbon cutting but also a baby shower!  Two parties in one weekend--- ah, BLISS!!! 

So without further adieu let's move onto part two of our busy weekend (last weekend)....a baby shower honoring Emry.   She is the daughter of my nephew and his wife-- yep, that makes me a GREAT aunt!  (Note:  I wasn't the only hostess of the special party but the rest of them gave me free reign to run with my ideas).  I've listed a few highlights that I will be spotlighting on my blog over the next week or two: 
  • "e" Button Monogram Art
  • "tweet" tree
  • tissue paper pom poms and memory notecards
  • E-M-R-Y chipboard letters and paper flower centerpiece arrangements
  • Shower food recipe
Today I am focusing on the "e" I made as a gift for Emry but also doubled as a shower decoration.  It is called Button Monogram Art.  It really is super easy to make and my "e" took me just under 2 hours to complete.  (Suggestion-- Perfect opporunity to catch up on DVR recordings or watch a movie!) 


Materials List
  • art canvas
  • paint (if you want to paint canvas before adhering buttons)
  • printer
  • heavy cardstock (to print monogram on to transfer to canvas)
  • buttons and gemstone embellishments (if you want a lil' bling!)
  • pencil, eraser, and scissors
  • E-6000 glue (easier and handier to use than hot glue but holds just as well)
  • display tools (Options:  easel or picture hanger)
Button Art Instructions
  • Type your monogram letter in Publisher (a Microsoft program).   

  • Pick a fun font for your monogram letter. 

  • Adjust your text box in Publisher to "auto-fit" and then enlarge text box until your monogram letter is the size you wish.  This is an important step to make the monogram letter large enough to work with.  Just selecting a large font in Word will not make it big enough to fill a canvas. 

  • Print out mongram letter on heavy cardstock and trim with scissors.

  • Trace letter onto canvas.

  • Select buttons and use E-6000 glue to glue on buttons.  I glued down several of my bigger buttons then filled in with smaller ones.  Also, I did overlap some of my buttons/embellishments, too. 

  • After you are done, use eraser to get rid of any pencil lines that are still visible. 

The "e" is traced and I am ready to adhere buttons. 

Finished Product
Let me know if you give it a try!  It really is simple to do, even for those who aren't typically so crafty :)

1 comment: