Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Angry Bird Party Plan & Resource List

Finally, I am following through on my promise on sharing the details of Josiah's Angry Bird Birthday Party. Since there are not any commercial Angry Bird party supplies available (yet) I had to pull out all my creative juices to create a fun seventh birthday party for Josiah. I found lots of resources on the internet and compiled all of them and my ideas below.

Invites

·        I made his birthday invitations by using clip art I found online at a variety of different sites. 
 
 
Balloon Templates & Party Sign


·        To create a party atmosphere I ordered two helium balloon bouquets of red, white, black, yellow, red and blue balloons to create our own Angry Birds.  Unfortunately, no one ever took a picture of them.

·         You can find the balloon templates I used here. 

·        I printed the templates on white cardstock paper and attached them to the balloons with foam dimensional stickers. 

·        I wanted to use green paper plates and balloon templates to make lots of “pigs” to staple to our wooden fence that the kids could have fun shooting/aiming at.  However, that never got done because we ran out of time. 

·        I also came across several examples in which people hung balloons from their ceilings when they planned an indoor party. 


·        I recruited the boys' help to create a pennant/banner that said “Help Us Save Our Eggs” which we stapled on our backyard wooden fence. 
Party Food

·        We served supper to our guests—make your own sub sandwiches, a couple of salads, fruit, and chips. 

Party Hats


·       We started the party by making our own hats.  I was pleasantly surprised of how the kids got into the spirit.   I told them they had to gear up to take on the pigs! 

·       We printed and cut out red, blue, and yellow angry bird characters on white cardstock from coloring pages on Cartoon Jr. to have the kids decorate and make their own party hats.  I provided colors, markers, feathers, and wiggle eyes to make them.  We then glued their characters to strips of construction paper to make “head band” party hats.

·       Have stapler(s), scotch tape, and/or glue readily accessible for putting together the head bands.  

·        You can find the coloring pages we used here. 

·        Since we always have family birthday parties, the mommies and kids made the party hats while the dads and older kids hid eggs for our Golden Egg Hunt. 


Golden Egg Hunt

·       Since the main objective of the Angry Birds video game is protecting the eggs, we used leftover plastic Easter eggs to have an egg hunt.  I had about 125 of them. 

·       I created slips of paper with points on them and placed them in the eggs.  The dads and older kids hid them in the backyard while we made party hats inside. 

·       I provided each child with a brown paper sack and said they could only find eggs until their sack was full. 

·       I awarded prizes (card games) for the highest AND lowest points found.  The golden egg contained 10,000 points. 
Egg and Spoon Race

·      

















  ·    We separated the kids into teams to have an egg and spoon race, using raw eggs.  The only person who dropped an egg was me when I was explaining how to play the game.  J

·        I awarded all the kids tootsie roll lollipops for playing the game. 

Get the Pigs!



·       We gave the kids 1 ½ minutes to get as many pigs as they possible using slingshots and plastic/rubber balls. 

·        I made our “pigs” by using about 60 plastic green cups and adhering images of angry bird pigs onto them with a hot glue gun.  Hint:  Buy plastic heavy duty cups (NOT the $1 ones at the Dollar Store) because they will be much sturdier and easier to set up over and over again. 

·        We bought the slingshots (water bombs included) for $1 each at the Dollar store.   These also doubled as a party favor. 

·        For ammunition I gathered up lots of rubber balls, as well as plastic golf balls and put them in buckets.   

·        We stacked the “pigs” on two banquet tables and had two lines going at once.  After 1 ½ minutes, we counted how many cups were knocked down.  We had a final show down between the highest winners to declare one winner and they won a prize. 

Piñata












·        Next we broke our homemade piñata.  Click here for instructions on how to make your own. 

Cupcakes

·        I gathered Angry Bird images online to decorate our red and yellow frosted cupcakes with special Angry Bird cupcake toppers. 

·        I intended to have the boys make a display out of the cupcakes by using Mega Bloks and Legos but we ran out of preparation time to do that. 


Party Favors

·        Our party guests took home their party hats, slingshots, water bombs, and pop rocks. 

Backyard Movie

·        We planned to show a backyard movie but the night got late on us and we skipped that.  However, the perfect movie to show would be Rio—just released today! 

T-shirts

·        We bought matching, themed t-shirts at JcPenney!  The kids really got a kick out of the fact that the parents were the pigs!  J 


Linking up to: 
Tip Junkie handmade projects

2 comments:

  1. That just looks like way too much fun. Love the parent pigs. lol Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the awesome ideas! I'm totally using them! :)

    ReplyDelete